What is Gastric Plication Surgery?
Gastric plication or surgery, commonly known as Stomach Folding / Reduction surgery, is a weight loss method. It is also known as gastric sleeve plication and gastric sleeve plication.
How is gastric plication performed?
Gastric plication is performed by laparoscopic technologies which develop only in the stomach without folding the stomach. Since the stomach is not cut during this operation, there is no damage to the stomach and the stomach is not cut or taken back, which can be restored at any time. During surgery, approximately 50% of the stomach is folded over itself and shrinked. The stomach folded on its own is taken inwards. Since the operation is performed laparoscopically, the duration of the operation and the length of hospital stay is very short compared to other obesity surgery methods. The operation takes about one and a half hours. The patient may be discharged the next day. It is fed with liquid foods for two weeks after the operation and then it can be switched to normal feeding.
In stomach folding surgery, only the stomach volume is reduced. Thanks to the shrinking stomach volume, the patient eats less. As in other obesity surgeries, materials such as balloons or tape are not put into the stomach. In this way, problems such as nausea and vomiting caused by these materials do not occur. At the same time, vital risks do not occur in the patient since foreign bodies are not used.
What are the advantages of Stomach Folding Surgery?
- Surgery is performed laparoscopically.
- The operation is very easy and does not require any material.
- The price is reasonable.
- The transition to normal nutrition may begin after 2 weeks of liquid nutrient consumption.
- Patients may be discharged after 1 day of hospitalization.
- It is a reversible operation since no sutures or parts are removed during the operation.
- No foreign object is inserted into the stomach, such as in gastric banding or gastric balloon operations. In this way, nausea and vomiting do not occur in patients. The health problems that foreign objects may cause in some patients are not experienced in the treatment of Gastric Plication.
What are the Disadvantages of Stomach Folding Surgery?
After this procedure, enlargement and enlargement may be observed in the remaining gastric portion in the course of time. This is very important because, in many gastric plication surgeries, which are used as a weight loss method, unfortunately only 50% of the stomach folds, and over time, re-growth and enlargement of the stomach tissue occurs.